30 April 2009

Boston Pictures - Part 4

This is becoming an every-other-day habit, and it’s the other day, so Boston Marathon segment 4 is here. Episode 3 took us through the Wellesley scream tunnel. brought us to the 10 km mark of the marathon. Today, the Hoyts, the hills, and on to Kenmore. And that will leave us just one more installment to the big finish, or perhaps a big Norwegian.

Yet again, remember that the posted pictures are reduced resolution. Please email me at secondlap@comcast.net and identify the pictures you’d like by their number, and I will be happy to send you the full resolution versions. Don’t be shy, feel free to ask for as many as you’d like.

To see my article on the race itself, follow this link.

To see the first batch of pictures, follow this link.

To see the second batch of pictures, follow this link.

To see the third batch of pictures, follow this link.

Now, on to the pictures!

BM-117: Heading up the slope toward Wellesley Center, I pass the Hoyts. If you don’t know who Dick and Rick Hoyt are, you’ve been under a rock. They are 100% pure inspiration. Heading for the halfway mark on a day I didn’t expect to finish, what a boost they provided!



BM-118: #5957 David Harding of Greely, Ontario gives the thumbs up to the Hoyts.



BM-119: Another shot of #5957 David Harding of Greely, Ontario and the Hoyts.



BM-120: #9296 Molly Schmelzle of Arcata, California.



BM-121: And a better shot of #9296 Molly Schmelzle of Arcata, California.



BM-122: Half of #6391 Carl Deland of Niles, Michigan. Last year the TV commentators were calling Cleveland Circle “The Meat Grinder” because of the wear and tear of the downhills. We haven’t even hit the hills yet, let along Cleveland Circle, but my camera aim managed to slice Carl in half. Stay tuned, I got another one!



BM-123: Here’s all of #6391 Carl Deland of Niles, Michigan. Carl was kind enough to leave a nice comment on my blog last week, thanks! I hope he comes back to see his picture since I didn’t get his email address. Oh that more were so bold as to leave a comment, it is what I live for. Well, sort of.



BM-124: Heading up the first hill after the turn onto Commonwealth Avenue in Newton, the fans are out in force. I got a fever, and this lady’s got the cure! MORE COWBELL!



BM-125: I was intentionally walking the hills to avoid stressing the repaired tendon in my foot. You just can’t explain that to all these fine fan folks cheering you to get running again. I settled for a simple phrase, “I’m doing this on 42 days training, I’m taking a break!” That line inevitably got big smiles from the fans.



BM-126: #6593 Terry Mullins of Richmond, Kentucky motors up the Newton hills. Go Army!



BM-127: The view near 1600 Commonwealth Avenue in Newton



BM-128: Near the 19 mile mark in the Newton hills, Commonwealth at the corner of Walnut. At this point I’m unable to wipe the grin off my face simply because I’m still doing this, well beyond my expectation.



BM-129: #7369 Joe Rombold of Sacramento, California. Peace!



BM-130: #7258 Mark Duncan of Calgary, Alberta.



BM-131: A mini-sized water stop manned by mini-sized fans. These guys are great! And at my slower pace this year I had the liberty to appreciate their service.



BM-132: It’s a blurry shot, but the only one I have of Heartbreak looming ahead. Hot diggity, we’re actually going to do this today!



BM-133: And we’ve arrived at Heartbreak. By definition I walk it until just before the top, so I’m running again when I pass the WBZ TV camera. I’ve never partaken in those omnipresent orange offerings before. Man, what I’ve been missing. Fabulous. Thanks, fan supporters!



BM-134: #9250 Mark Willis of Richmond, Virgina climbs Heartbreak



BM-135: Look at all these people working so hard on Heartbreak while I take a pleasant stroll!



BM-136: And just like that, we’re over the hills. Grinning is turning into euphoria as we reach Boston College at mile 21. There’s still 5 to go, but since I just don’t care how long it takes, it’s sinking in that I’ll be picking up that third Boston medal.



BM-137: We’ve made the turn and are heading downhill to Cleveland Circle. Just before this shot I was walking next to a young lady who was utterly wiped and asked not to be photographed, a request which of course I obliged. The contrast between her state and mine was striking; I wished I could have passed on some giddiness.



BM-138: Hey, Mr. Cop, I just couldn’t get the whole plate number. Here’s #1029-something, and hunting the entrants on the BAA site doesn’t give me an obvious answer who it is. Oh well… [Post-script: That's Dan Gullage, #10290, from Orange, Massachusetts, apparently deep in meditation! Thanks for the note, Dan!]



BM-139: Earlier in the day we raced the train through Framingham. Now we race the Green Line down Beacon Street. Reminds me of the old saying, “Shall we walk or do we have time to take the Green Line?”



BM-140: It’s tiny, you have to look hard, but the Citgo sign is in sight! That can only mean one thing: It will take a long time to get to it.



BM-141: #9824 David Hovey of Hebron, Connecticut on Beacon Street.



BM-142: A better shot of #9824 David Hovey of Hebron, Connecticut.



BM-143: It may not be apparent, but the Citgo sign is just a little larger. I told you it would take a long time to get there!



BM-144: #12728 Andrea Klein of Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, one of those places you always hear about but never meet anyone from. Well, here’s someone from there!



BM-145: #10141 Gregory Denkler of Arlington, Virginia being chased by the bathrobe trio, including # 4780 PJ Eichten of Minneapolis. That shower cap has to be uncomfortable.



BM-146: Holy Cow, Batman, 24 miles on a piece of horse stitched into my foot.



BM-147: The bathrobe trio. Uninhibited joy. Question: Do they need a shower after the race?



BM-148: An unidentified runner has the look of “Only two more miles” on her face.



BM-149: And that Citgo sign, while larger, is STILL a long way off.



BM-150: And it slowly draws nearer…



BM-151: The 40 km mark, just before the bridge over the Massachusetts Turnpike. When I run the race hard, that bridge hurts. Today, doing the run / walk / whatever cruise, well, who cares about this little hump?



BM-152: Unidentified runner bearing badges of honor: Last year’s Boston cap and a fabulous collection of salt stains.



BM-153: Until I handed her the slip telling here where to get her picture, I think #12759 Tamara Pavlov of Lewisburg, Pennsylvania thought I was a weird stalker or something. Perhaps I was?



BM-154: At last the Citgo sign looms large as we near Kenmore. My daughter loved this shot of the runner she named “Lizard Man”.



BM-155: Mile 25! On a day I didn’t expect to finish, it’s getting overwhelming.




BM-156: Kenmore!



BM-157: And as we enter Kenmore Square, it is overwhelming. I’ve only teared up in a marathon once before, last year finishing Boston with my first sub-3. Today, the fan support in Kenmore pulling me onward, not just to the end of the marathon but literally on my recovery and comeback, does it again. How can you thank the fans, let them know how much this means?



BM-158: And the last one for today, another shot of the fan support in Kenmore.



One more batch of photos to come, the last mile and the finish!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Humor me. If you read it, if you liked it, even if you didn't, let me know!